Monday, June 27, 2016

Grappling WithThe Theft of Car

An exhausting day with my kids has drained me physically after taking them out to library, picnic and play. Blame it or not thus, I forgot to lock the car, which led to theft of my Toyota car.

 This morning Tuesday, 21st  I woke to find my car stolen from our assigned parking lot in front of my townhouse. I didn't realize it until my neighbors, who run to me and told that someone has rummaged her car, and she called the police and asked me if I would check my other cars for any suspicious activities.


When I looked into my Honda CRV. To my utter astonishment, the doors were ajar. My wallet is thrown open on the front passage seat, and other stuff in the car in the driver seat is thrown open with an apparent sign of ransacking in the driver's seat side holder. Only then I realized vaguely, that my other Toyota Corolla car is missing. I rushed back to my house and informed my wife if she is aware of what happened to our car. I was in a state of delirious and panic attack. I couldn't believe it, that your car could be stolen in front your house.


 Now after several hours while sitting in the car, that I recall something. Last evening, when I took the kids to picnic, I left my wallet and our Toyota vehicle key back in the Honda car, because it was felt heavy and my pocket was bulging. So the possibilities are that when the thieves get into my unlocked Honda CRV car (I always thought the car lock automatically) then they found the spare key for the Toyota, and making it easy to steal

 Events leading up-to the theft.

My kids and their peers  return from the Oakton High school playground around 9 p.m. I asked them if they want water, knowing that I have a box of water bottles in the trunk of my Honda CRV. I went inside and brought my car key and open the trunk and give each of them a bottle of water.
Afterward, I took the remaining bottles of water inside house. Then damn it, looks like I forgot to lock  the car doors, leaving my wallet and the car key of Toyota Corolla inside.

So this morning, the thief drove away my car. With sadness and anger, I called the police to report the theft, and then I also called my insurance company. A detective is also assigned to track down the thieves.

 Interestingly I read an article or something where for the insurance company, the premier suspect will be the owner of the car. The insurance did a run down with me, that if the vehicle is not recovered within next few weeks, then it might take around 20 days before they settle the claim. I was expecting to face any eventuality.

While I was going through lots of stress, my youngest daughter's comfort is very touching and most soothing. Occasionally she looks out to the parking lot and when seeing the car park is empty,  she looks at me and like a parent consoles me saying that "don't worry Dad, the police will bring the bad guys." She could tell my despondency over the loss of my car, and she did her Mammy thing to comfort me. That was the most healing and reassuring tiny hand, and  that genuine sincere of   touch is uplifting.


Thieves Arrested:
On Friday June 24th, while I was in office, I got a call from the Geico Insurance company, telling me that my car has been recovered. The culprits are caught or arrested. Two juveniles and one adult were behind the stealing of my car. A 13-year old who stole and drove it. The police filed a charge against them and set a court date.  It looks like I will have to attend the court hearing.


The Condition of My Car:

While there are visible exterior scratches outside and interior  of the car is a total wreck. The car is filled with cigarette smoking, it was so powerful, that I was feeling giddy and headache for hours. They spilled things on the seat cover and pulled appliances underneath the drawer on the passenger seat. It is a total mess inside  Other than that I could not tell, what  else is missing or damaged, there might even be  invisible damage. Now the  Bodyshop would take care of the repair, and restoration service. It is hoped that  they could restore my car to its original spotless, pristine form


All this happens so fast and dramatically, it is all over now. My worries are put to rest, and I only just need to waite and be patient, before I get my car back.

The steal of my car incident is an indication that everything can happen to us. Loss, stealing, injury and damage. But how to cope with such possibilities in life's up and down would test our persona. An unfortunate incident that unfolded so far and so abruptly , is now being put to rest. I have hit the bottom and now I have only to go up....





No comments: